Silicon metal should be stored in a dry, cool, and well-ventilated area to prevent degradation and ensure its quality. The ideal storage conditions for silicon metal are:
- Temperature: Silicon metal should be stored at a temperature below 50°C (122°F) to prevent it from oxidizing or decomposing.
- Humidity: Silicon metal is highly reactive with moisture, so it should be stored in a dry environment with low humidity levels. The recommended relative humidity level for silicon metal storage is less than 60%.
- Ventilation: Good ventilation is crucial for silicon metal storage to prevent the accumulation of gases, which can cause the metal to degrade or ignite. The storage area should be well-ventilated, and any potential sources of ignition, such as open flames or sparks, should be kept away.
- Packaging: Silicon metal should be stored in its original packaging, which is usually in steel drums or bags. The packaging should be kept tightly sealed to prevent moisture or air from entering.
- Handling: Proper handling is also essential when storing silicon metal. The metal should be protected from any physical damage or impact, which can cause it to break or produce dust.